Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The EveryDay Things

My husband and I recently talked about moving out of state, mainly so that he would have a better chance of getting promoted in his career (other states are less competitive). For me, this was both scary and kinda exciting. I have always lived in Colorado, and I love it here. But I support my husband and we discussed how it would be nice on one hand to have a fresh start somewhere new to us, etc. But, he would have to leave his kids here with their mom. We talked about how the time with the kids would actually probably be more quality time; when they visited for breaks and such he could take off work and actually spend time with them and do stuff. That it wouldn't just be this mundane everyday stuff; come home, eat dinner, homework, T.V, go to sleep, and start again. And it got me thinking....
I think we take for granted these everyday things. These moments of hearing their laughter over a silly commercial or Dad being a goofball. Helping with math homework. Listening to singing coming from the backseat in the car. Having a war with the nerf guns. Watching basketball games, choir concerts where its just pretend singing, quick kung fu moves at practice. Pushing each other into the swimming pool, cool hiking trips, learning to skateboard. Watching them grow up, witnessing these small little moments that are "everyday things"...are actually special moments in time. In their life, in them becoming their own little special people. That we could stay and be part of.  That just isn't worth missing to further a career.
Needless to say we aren't moving now. Perhaps later on, we can revisit the idea when the kids are older. But for now, I have no doubt in my mind that this is a decision that won't be regretted.  
Take a minute, and think of all the everyday things you might be taking for granted. Moments overlooked. Moments not even noticed. I know I'm thankful for the everyday things, that make up this crazy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment